Tuesday, April 22, 2014

What's it all about?

   The last time I was at work, just before my last class of the last day before Spring Break, I got the call that set up today's court appointment for my adoption of Kody.  I was so tearful over the news that I blabbed to my one student present in that last very self-contained class during that beautiful weather of that glorious culmination of two straight months with zero breaks even for 2 "Nor'easterns", parent-teacher conferences, and another working Saint Patty's Day - (when will we stop persecuting the Irish???) - but after coming home and telling Kody about it, I just stopped caring.  I didn't really give it much more thought all vacation.  My kid made me realize this is like the paperwork part of a marriage ceremony.  The real important part is in saying "I do".  And, well, I already did.  For better or worse, I'd signed to at least be second in his life for a little while.
   So, this morning, in trying to get two kids dressed and ready in time after a week and a half of learning to sleep late (7a), a still-sick wife hacking up a lung every time I talk to her showered, medicated, and ready, and a grandma's notorious logic which mandates her to emerge late after being called early to walk in the opposite direction of the car for a half block just to discard the three tissues she used this morning in a plastic "Have a nice day" bag due to a commitment of immediate use of a dumpster, even though she knows you're in a rush and asked her to meet you at the street specifically in the interest of time saving.  The first time I even got a hand free to completely button my own shirt was after I'd stopped at the mailbox!
   All that was subconscious over zealousness though which I only realized after going out to put more money in the one-hour-limited-meter and finding "Meter expired" parking ticket next to my clearly displayed 15-more-minutes-time-allotted-parking-tag, after waiting 45 minutes in a room with a window, a few chairs and cold radiator/awesome balance beam that my kids weren't allowed near according to the child expert/security guard busily reading his newspaper.  (Apparently there may be something "pointy" my kid could get hurt on).
   Finally, we were allowed in to sign some papers that took 4 1/2 years to gather, 2 1/2 minutes to complete, and Kody is now "mine" - in all states.
   Walking briskly back to the car in fear of a random tow, I carried Kody in silence.  He'd chosen me to carry him today and I was the hug recipient of his affections all morning.  Lips pressed against his ear I had little to actually say.  I thought of how heavy he'd gotten since those first glorious moments I'd held him in life.  I thought of the night we made him.  I thought of the prayer circles we'd held to call him to us.  I thought of how incredible it felt to have his arms grasping me in this street and I thought of how happy and fulfilled he's made my life already.
   As soon as Amy and I were alone again in the car she said "So?  Feel any different?"
   "Nope."  Truth is, I don't.  I'm always this happy.
   Makes ya wonder, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment