Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Recommendation Letter

To whom it may concern:

   I just spent the better part of my day gathering forms and getting signatures notarized for my wife to adopt our son, Niky.  I can't help but find it odd that for all these testimonials to her health, and her job, all her papers and recommendations, - nobody anywhere asks for my opinion.  I have friends going through what we're going through today.  I have family devoted to proving themselves contributors to our cause.  But even they - with all their good intentions and noble efforts - often just don't really get it.
   My wife, Amy, is a doting mother, a fierce advocate, and highly intelligent instructor capable of facilitating the most productively fun, memorable days of all our lives as well as the lives of her lucky students.  She is the fuel my family runs on.  She is the director of the way things go.  She is never too proud to stand up for what is essential and important no matter what the personal effort or cost.
   As for "adopting" Niky, she was there the day Nikkan was born - seconds after he was ripped from me in an emergency C section, I was helpless as they shuffled him off to NICU for some elusive fluid drain.  Laying there trying to wiggle life back into my limbs, I was left to ponder all the plans I'd made that had been abandoned in minutes - between natural child birth, cord blood retrieval, instant breastfeeding... something had gone awry.
   It was my wife, Amy, - Ema as our kids have come to call her - who immediately took off after Niky, stood by his side, demanded no pacifier be given him least he should waste important early precious energy on nonsense and pumped her own breast milk for him to be nourished when there was sudden talk of our dreaded "F" word.  She was the one who calmed me down, who got us a private room, and who saw to it I was allowed to hold Nikkan just as soon as I was able to land myself in that wheelchair to get to him even when the hospital policy said "No" and the nurses said he had to remain immobilized.  She was the only familiar voice he heard for those first few terrifying hours of hurried hands, cold, and lights.  She was the first one to tell him she loved him - who marveled at his beautiful trembling lips.
   Amy left us that night (just as I had to Kody's first night) but she's been there every night and day since we came home.  She nursed me through my recovery, took on half the breastfeeding, cooked, worked, taught, played, snuggled, disciplined, laughed, and hugged him every day since.  She's more than a wife or a husband.  She is a mother.
   Maybe it's because we had to elope when we actually married that I don't feel like I get the opportunity to say this enough publicly, but Amy is the perfect wife.  She's my best friend and often my most diligent competitor.  She's always my sweetest comfort, strongest knight, and funniest comedic relief.  And just as she supported, challenged, and molded us into the most euphoric zone of my existence, I know she'll do the same for our Takoda and Nikkan.  Amy is one choice I made in our lives that created the best of mine.
   So yes, I highly recommend Ms. Amy Rothman, Ema, my incredible wife, for the position of "Adoptive mother" to our son, Nikkan Liam Polizzi Rothman, - not that anyone asked but just in case anybody was wondering.
   Sincerely.


 

2 comments:

  1. This is SO beautiful. What a testament not only to the kind of mother and woman she is, but to your love for her and the family you have created together. This is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Big smiles. I love you both!

    ReplyDelete