Sunday, June 8, 2014

My Wife's Big Mouth

Just in case we were wavering in our decision to move to Mineola, NY today provided some insight into that decision.  Even after the years (almost decades) of being with my wife, she still occasionally shocks me.  Lounging around the park with the kids after an open house today, we were discussing the pros and cons of this decision and happened to be amidst a group of teenagers when one boy calls another the dreaded "f" word.  Without missing a beat my wife launches into a very loud conversation that she hoped that kind of language wasn't typical of the area.  I'm not certain her passive aggressiveness registered because a similar slur erupted within a few minutes.  This launched my wife out of her seat to announce her objections of the local vocabulary as well as our sensitive statuses as lesbian moms.  I found myself braced and frozen on my bench trying not to be obvious about my interest in the expressions these events would incite on the young couple we'd been sharing this play set with for the past 5 formerly quiet minutes.  Turns out there was no objection made either by that couple (at least toward us) nor the mess of teenagers we were amongst - at least not right away.  It was a park and there was a fair going on, so there was an ebb and flow as people going and coming on their respective ways but amongst the chatter there arose a voice of one teen objection.  He was passing the few teens who had originally committed the infraction and who were now hurriedly leaving the park.  It was a lower conversational tone at first and then rose into obvious proud projection.  He was reminding someone of the need to "watch your mouth in public" and reprimanding them for not thinking before they speak.  He was defending us.
I'm ashamed to say that it was only at this point that I turned around to really face this neighborhood as the out and "proud" lesbian mom I have come to - aspire to be.  My wife, already facing them, thanked them and expressed appreciation for the young man's maturity.  The kid went even father to say the exact thing we were so grateful to hear.  "Those kids are not representative of this community."
What followed was a wash of young teenage girls in this young man's wake all smiling and commenting in how cute our boys were.  As they passed I searched their faces for any hint of sarcasm.  And I didn't find any.  I actually saw only genuine sincerity, even a certain empathy for us.  Even later, talking to some other families, our sexuality never even came out and yet had to be obvious.  Not a flicker of reserve.  No acceptance requested nor granted.  Nothing about that label even seemed to require energy.  Just commonalities (schools, houses, mortgage interest rates, etc.).
'I guess we could live here' I thought.  Even with my wife's big mouth.  Lol.  I love you Honey!

2 comments:

  1. This makes my heart so warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good people exist even when they are hard to find. I also thought of moving to Mineola but the rentals were way too high for me. Good luck with your new home when you find it. Best wishes to you and your family. ;)

    ReplyDelete