Monday, June 16, 2014

Dear New York Vital Records,

Four years ago my wife gave birth to our first son, Takoda.  The hospital did not have the proper birth certificate form with a space for two mothers available.  They told me you would send me the proper records within a few months.  

The end of January, you sent me back a birth certificate listing me as the father.  I returned it with a note, the proper forms, and requested that you fix the problem.  

You then sent me back a new birth certificate listing me as the mother - but male.  I sent this back again with the proper forms - again - including a copy of my birth certificate, and a note assuring you that my sexuality had little affect on my gender.

Since then we have had copies of these (albeit inaccurate) records held up in a lawyer's office while my official adopting of my son took place.  (We didn't want to wait on that any longer.). The adoption has just recently concluded.

I understand it is your policy to make parents pay for records beyond a certain date of the birth, however, since much of this delay is due to extremely insulting "errors" on the part of your office, perhaps you would see to it that I receive a proper birth certificate from you finally for free of these erroneous charges and perhaps even with some haste and diligence to get it right this time?

Thank you kindly for your ownership.

Alison -------, Mother (FEMALE)

1 comment:

  1. You would think that by now they would get this right - the only thing they seem to get right is making sure that fees, penalty charges and all other charges are levied - how utterly insensitive and stupid. Thanks Ali for your post. Nuccia

    ReplyDelete