Friday, August 5, 2016

My Son's Coming Out

My son just came out of his closet the other day.  It's funny how we joke about this; my friends and I all being mostly 2, 3, 4 mom- headed families.  We all had our different coming out stories.  But now, being in the parental roles, it's just as strange to navigate.
   We were on a playground when a friend of mine mentioned how galant my Kody was to her daughter back on the slide,  taking her daughters hand and helping her and her friend off gently.  Later, alone with my boy, I expressed how proud I was and how his gentlemanly reputation had reached me.  He asked what I meant, and when I explained, he got very serious.  "Mom, I have to tell you something."
   I recognized the severe tone, but not from experience with him.  "What's up Bud?"
   "I like girls."
   I laughed.
   "No Ma, really.  I'm serious.  I know I want to marry a girl."  
   We're always so quick to include "wife or husband" or "husband or wife" whenever referring to anyone's future marriage plans.  I told him not to worry about who he wants to marry right now, and to just be nice to everyone.  "Just because you like and want to marry a girl doesn't mean you only be nice to girls.  I want you to help boys too if they need it."
   He scrunched up his nose.  "Help boys?"
   I felt my defenses go up.  "Yes help boys.  What's wrong with helping boys?  I want you to be nice to everyone no matter who they are or who they love."

   Five minutes after telling all the girls my son's coming out story, I hear a familiar "Mooom!!!" coming from the slide.  My son's head pops up from behind another couple boys.  "Mom!  I helped a boy!"
   I love this kid.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment